Just when I was starting to think that I really need to invest in an apron (and maybe a welder’s mask), my sister made me a Doctor Who themed Apron!! I absolutely love Doctor Who, so much that I have a pretty significant Doctor Who POP figure collection.
Yea, yea, I know, I am a huge nerd, but this is my one nerd vice. I used to roll my eyes whenever my dad would get excited about Star Trek, now Doctor Who IS. MY. STAR TREK! I haven’t watched the newest season so no spoilers from anyone who has seen it.
Before I get on a tangent about how fantastic Doctor Who is, I am going to switch the conversation to bread. Baking bread makes the house smell glorious! I don’t do it often enough. I find myself being lazy and buying bread for the kids at the store instead of making my own.
When I do bake bread, it is usually challah, mostly because it’s the only bread I know how to bake and it’s super yummy! In my opinion, there is no other bread more beautiful than challah. My favorite is the 6 braided Challah with poppy seeds. For this bread, I stuck with a 3 braided Challah.
I always go super easy when I make my bread, meaning I mix the flour, sugar, salt, and yeast together before mixing in the wet ingredients. I also use an electric mixer. Fortunately, my electric mixer has dough hook attachments which make a world of difference when making the dough.
With this recipe, I use 4 eggs and a butter-water mixture. The bread turns out fluffy and soft every time. The trick is to make sure to melt the butter in the water on low heat, but the temperature of the mixture should not go above 130 degrees. The magic number is 120 to 130. After I whip the eggs and the butter mixture is to the correct temperature I just dump it all into the dry mix and get my dough hooks going.
I hope everyone enjoys this bread, I know my family does. Let me know how it turns out!
- 4 1/2 cups all-purpose flour or bread flour
- 2 packets of active dry yeast
- 1 1/2 stick butter
- 1 tbsp sugar
- 1 tsp kosher salt
- 1 cup water
- 4 whole eggs beaten
- 1 egg white
- poppy seeds (optional)
- In a large mixing bowl add 2 cups of flour, salt, yeast, and sugar. Mix well
- In a small pan melt 1 1/2 stick butter in with 1 cup of water over medium-low heat
- Mix 4 eggs together
- After butter mixture is the correct temperature add to the dry mixture along with the eggs
- Using an electric mixer with dough hooks blend all ingredients together
- Add 2 more cups of flour one cup at a time until all incorporated.
- After it’s all mixed roll the dough out and add up to 1/2 cup more until the dough is smooth. Be sure not to over knead the dough.
- Add the finished dough to an oiled bowl
- Cover bowl with plastic wrap and a cloth, let rise in a warm place for 45 min
- After it’s finished rising preheat the oven to 400 degrees and remove the dough from the bowl
- Punch down the dough to remove any air then roll out on the counter. Separate into two loafs. Separate the loafs into sections if braiding or loaf it.
- Put the braids onto an oiled cookie sheet and recover for 15 more minutes
- After 15 minutes put the bread in the oven for 10 minutes
- Remove bread and add egg wash with a baster over the entire loaf and add poppy seeds
- Put back in oven for 15 more minutes